This very steep dirt road falls down the range and led to the establishment of Port Douglas.
Gold miners from the Palmer River and Thornborough were asking for a faster way to the coast for their wagons rather than having to go to Cooktown, and Christy Palmerston found this route, probably an old aboriginal trail, in 1877.
Merchants from Cooktown quickly arrived to settle the tent village of Port Douglas and built wharves and stores.
Gold escorts used the road and heavy machinery was hauled up from coastal steamers to the hinterland copper and tin mines.
Cobb and Co, bullock and horse teams struggled up the steep rise and when cars were introduced, sometimes they had to be hauled up by horses. Coming down, they tied a log on the back to stop them slipping.
The Bump Track was in constant use as the only road out from Port Douglas until the coast road to Cairns was built in 1933, but it was still used to service telephone lines until the 1950s. The road was mined during World War II.
Today it is used by hikers and mountain bikers.